Thursday, April 2, 2009

A New Movement

My sisters and I have realized that we lack a certain amount of financial responsibility. Though some of us are getting better than we used to be, there is still much room for improvement.

To assist us in this quest, we have started a new blog: Poor Hite.

Please follow our search for self-reliance and financial freedom.

To start this movement, I am stealing an idea from my friend, B. It is a Financial Fast. It is how I plan to save some money and see how much I frivolously spend...which I am sure is a lot.

The rules:
Spend no money...other than the necessities, of course. Necessities are defined as the following:
- rent/mortgage
- loan/car payments
- utilities/insurance
- gasoline
- groceries and personal necessities (i.e.-deodorant, tampons, Tucks pads, and Preparation-H)
THAT IS IT!!!!

No restaurants. No shopping. No stops at the 7-11. No movies. Nothing extra.

Now, there are some who say that is unrealistic. There may be a need to have a set amount of flex-cash for entertainment, etc.

I am kind of a purest and think that a true financial fast should be done without the flex cash.

I would like to start the Financial Fast as soon as possible. Any takers?

7 comments:

Destiny said...

Woohoo! Welcome to the road to financial freedom club. Good luck with your fast. I'm cheering you on.

Jim Hite said...

Errr... Are you on drugs?? - Who are you and what have you done to my daughter?? And why do you need Preperation H AND Tucks pads?? And are Diet Pepsi's groceries?? And what about Netflix - is that movies?? And then what about cable and internet and cell phone data and phone service at all and pet food - is that a grocery too?? And does buying a car for your kid count as shopping??

I don't think we are genetically capable of saving. (Which brings up several questions about Karl's parentage which we WON'T go into at this time.) And if you are also refusing to eat at restaurants when others are paying, let me know cuz I was sending Caitie money for the Portland Hites recreation/eating fund. (Since I can't eat out anymore, somebody should.)

And you realize this is going to play havoc with our economy if it propagates. Do you want to be the person that single-handedly makes out recession into a Depression??
I think I'll continue to help the economy. Being selfless, I'm sure Jesus would have spent all his money to help the growth of jobs and lift the Economy, if only for the benefit of his fellow man. How can I not follows Jesus' example??

Or in simpler terms - no.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love it Smalge. Count me and Archiette in, although she's not a big spender yet.. might as well cut that habit early :)

Ryan said...

I tried this once for 4 years. I called it college. It was a nice memory, but I wouldn't willingly go back. Your Dad cracks me up. I almost had diet coke coming out my nose.

Shirlene said...

I, for one (along with your Uncle Greg), are in complete harmony with your wise father -- doing our part to stimulate the economy! Uncle Greg is seemingly trying to do that single-handedly! I can't get him to stop! We're all about service! And diet coke is as necessary to me as is preparation H to another!

James and Summer said...

amen! hope you are still at it - and if you need a bit of a reminder of how 'good' it feels - Dave Ramsey baby! we've been living 'cash only' for almost 2 years and it is soooooooo much better! love you!