Friday, December 5, 2008

An Apostle Dies

A once towering football star is greeted by the prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.

Elder Joseph Bitner Wirthlin died Monday night of old age. He was 91 years old. I met this special witness of Christ while I was in the Missionary Training Center at the beginning of my mission. I loved this dear man and his unshakable testimony of the Savior and His gospel.

I will never forget the address he gave at last October's General Conference. The talk was about charity. While he gave the talk he began to shake (apparently his knees had locked and his muscles were trying to hold him up). Elder Nelson, also an Apostle, stood beside him while he finished his remarks. There was nothing that could remove him from finishing his talk. The testimony that was shared seemed much stronger than usual that time. It was remarkable to see an act of charity as Elder Wirthlin testified of its importance in our lives.

I will miss his stories at General Conference. I will miss his testimony. But I look forward to getting to know a new Apostle of the Lord when he is called next April.

1 comment:

Kahilau said...

What a wonderful blessing for me to once again hear you bear your powerful testimony.It has been almost 8 years since I have heard that. You are one powerful woman and you are so right about the amazing testimonies of people who choose to join the church. Thank you for the reminder.